3 Tips To Increase Change AdoptionFeb 03, 2021
So, you’ve been diligently meeting with stakeholders and analysing your change to figure out what the impacts are to your groups and individuals, and you're *still* getting push back from your stakeholders who feel like you just don't understand their world and their needs.
What's up with that?
In my experience, it's not enough to just understand the impacts of your specific change and *hope for the best* that your stakeholders come along for the ride, that you nail adoption and see change success at the end...
You also have to actively focus on everything else AROUND your silo (i.e., around your change) and in your stakeholder's WORLD.
What are those other things, you ask? Well, that's exactly what this article is all about :)
Read on, and I'm going to introduce you to part of my new Assess The Adoption Battlefield Technique to step out of your silo and lead your change. Sound good? Great!
Here's the first one...
1. Address the 'portfolio view of change'
If you've ever personally been impacted by a change at work and then *another* change has been lumped on your team with little notice, you know how this feels.
A Portfolio View of Change is a general term for the whole high-level summary of what's changing for a particular organisation, group, branch, team etc.
Have a look at what else is going on at the same time as your specific change for your impacted people so you can be informed about what else is going on in their world.
Then, demonstrate to your stakeholders that you understand what else is going on... i.e., TELL THEM!
And take any other changes that impact them into account when you are planning your change.
2. Key events and activities
I can say with 100% confidence, without even looking over your shoulder, you're not doing enough to understand the day-by-day workings of all of your impacted groups. This is one of the best ways to demonstrate to your stakeholders that you understand their needs and their WORLD, so get ready to take some notes.
Here are a few things to tickle your brain...
For most change practitioners who are getting push back and resistance, deep-diving into your stakeholder's WORLD is the way to go.
- When are their internal recurring key meetings, who runs them, and how often? Be interested and investigate their inner workings of how they share information internally (this is very different to how you THINK you should share info with them, but how they ALREADY share info to their teams today)
- How do they share and celebrate wins? What forums and formats do THEY use? Let's find out and tap into that!
- What team or organisation events are coming up throughout your change project - formal AND informal - and how does that look against your activity plan?
3. Culture and behaviour
There are thousands of change practitioners working on change projects without an understanding of the actual culture, social norms, and behaviors of the organisation and people they are trying to deliver change to.
Working in your own culture and behaviour silo is the last thing you want to do. This is a one-way ticket to resistance city. I've lived there! Would not recommend it!
So, start breaking down exactly what the social norms are, and any embedded culture and practices. Apply this to how you are approaching your stakeholders and your change.
One last piece of advice:
You might think that managing this change you're working on is 100% about you... but it isn't. As with all interactions with your stakeholders and project teams, you want to find a way to make it about your impacted individuals and groups. Because after all, the adoption buck stops with understanding their needs.
And there you go! I hope you implement these three parts of my Assessing The Adoption Battlefield Technique into your change practice this week.
Ready to learn this essential skill?
Want to gain practical change management skills & feel confident to lead change by creating effective change strategies and plans?
In 8 weeks, learn how to build your change strategy and plan, position yourself as a change leader, feel confident to lead change from DAY 1... without being an expert in a single methodology
Is This You?
- You're in change (or wanting to get into change) but missing the practical end to end change management skills
- You don't just want a certification for your CV, you want to learn how to truly lead change
- You want to confidently talk about your transferrable skills in interviews to land your dream change management role (and be successful when you get there)
- You want to be an expert at change management, an authority who leadership trust for advice
- You want to earn the salary you deserve, and be sought after for change management roles
- You want to know the process, structure and approach to deliver change effectively
- You want to feel confident to hit the ground running on DAY 1
If the statements above describe YOU...
Change Manager Accelerator is the perfect solution for you.